1. The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.
2. Courage is grace under pressure.
3. The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
4. When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.
5. Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.
6. The first and final thing you have to do in this world is to last it and not be smashed by it.
7. Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
8. Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything.
9. Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.
10. It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
11. There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
12. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself.
13. I did not care what it was all about. All I wanted to know was how to live in it. Maybe if you found out how to live in it, you learned what it was all about.