We all know by now that being single isn’t the end of the world. But of course there will always be certain situations that seem to draw a lot of unwanted attention to the fact that you’re currently unattached. The key is to not let those moments where it sucks to be single get you down. Try to see the bright side of your current relationship status instead of always wanting what you don’t have. Remember these things every time it crosses your mind that you’re somehow less because you’re alone.
1. IT’S BETTER TO BE SINGLE THAN WITH SOMEONE WHO ISN’T RIGHT FOR YOU.Why waste your time with a guy who will only end up making your life miserable? Being single is nothing to be afraid of — making a huge mistake by marrying the wrong guy is.
2. SETTLING WILL NEVER MAKE YOU HAPPY IN THE LONG RUN.The guy who’s good enough right now, probably won’t stay that way 10 years from now, and you’ll be wishing you held out instead of assuming that was as good as it could possibly get.
3. THERE’S MORE TO LIFE THAN YOUR RELATIONSHIP STATUS.Basing all your self-worth on your relationship is a recipe for disaster. People change, and breakups happen, but it’ll never change the fact that you’re amazing, and you don’t need a guy to be happy.
4. THE PAST DOESN’T HAVE TO DICTATE YOUR FUTURE.So you tolerated a guy who didn’t treat you right for too long once, but that doesn’t mean you’re destined to do it again. You learned your lesson, and your future will reflect that.
5. YOU DON’T HAVE TO SIT AROUND WAITING FOR LOVE TO FALL IN YOUR LAP.Single doesn’t mean you have to be a celibate spinster with no Saturday night plans. Get out there and meet new people. It might not always lead somewhere, but waiting around for life to happen to you doesn’t exactly lead anywhere either.
6. YOU’RE NOT DESTINED TO BE ALONE.Unless that’s what you want, of course. But as long as you want it and you’re open to it, a relationship will happen eventually.
7. YOU’RE SINGLE BY CHOICE, NOT BY NECESSITY.You could find someone to date if you really wanted to, but obviously you have standards. It’s okay if it takes a little longer to find someone you really want to be with. It’s either that or settle for less than you deserve.
8. YOUR PAST RELATIONSHIPS ENDED FOR A REASON.Let go of the idea that there’s a perfect for you guy from your past that you let get away. Those relationships ended because they were supposed to in order for you to make way for a better future.
9. NOT EVERY GUY YOU DATE IS GOING TO BE THE ONE, AND THAT’S OKAY.There’s nothing wrong with spending a few months with a decent guy that you have a lot of fun with but probably isn’t “forever” material. Dating is supposed to be fun, not a mad rush to find a husband at all costs.
10. HAVING A “TYPE” IS HOLDING YOU BACK.Being stubborn about the kind of guy you see yourself with is only hurting your chances at finding love. Broaden your horizons and you could be pleasantly surprised at what you find out about yourself and what you’re really looking for.
11. THE GRASS ISN’T ALWAYS GREENER.We tend to always want what we don’t have instead of appreciating what’s right in front of us. You don’t want to end up on the relationship side of the fence without first enjoying the being single thing. So slow down, quit worrying, and focus on the present while you’re here.
12. THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON YOU’LL EVER LOVE IS YOURSELF.They say you can’t expect someone else to love you if you don’t even love yourself, and it’s true. Other people will come and go, but you’re stuck with you, so you might as well learn to enjoy your own company.